For many users, the reasons to leave now outnumber the reasons to stay. But what’s the most important? Extremism, abuse, fake news, Brexit, FOMO, meme fatigue, the Donald?
Rather than write an arbitrary list myself, I asked some freelancers. These are my favourite responses; they have been edited for brevity and coherence.
- Despite the potential to unite, it has become a platform that is tearing people apart. Twitter has been responsible for spreading violence, disobedience, defamation, bullying, and extreme public humiliation. It is a breeding ground for psychopaths, sadists and narcissists.
- Without Twitter, you will never show up in a tavern and meticulously tweet the ale options, spend most of your time answering @s, completing your drink, and ignoring everyone around you.
- Twitter can easily ruin your career and your life. You are always one click away – from normalcy to destruction.
- It is highly addictive and incurable. On average, a school student checks their feed 10 times an hour. But what’s wrong when the leader of the free world himself is addicted? #drumpf
- The breaking point was when he bragged how big was his nuclear button.
- Quitting a social media platform like twitter is more or less like committing suicide! Have you ever been so irritated that leaving a platform is one of the best decisions you’ve ever made?
- What joy does it bring! Does it help one with a happy life? No, we are all equally dissatisfied. Does it help one with money? Of course not. Does it bring about a change in society? Hell no. What is its real advantage? “I can make my tweet seen by Donald Trump”.
- It is hypersonic and so unstable. Billions of people post rumours everyday, which often get miscarried, even by news agencies. In a recent hoax, they killed our beloved Rocky Balboa, a.k.a Sylvester Stallone.
- It is is not a place for the people who get disturbed by trolls. Twitter is full of trolls.
- What is the biggest problem on the platform? – Getting rid of racist people. What’s the next most critical thing? Racism. Number three is also racism. Nobody is doing anything, so that’s my sign to leave.
- Mob rule can be a terrible thing where you will lose yourself. You get favs for acting like a savage on Twitter. Other people endorse that behaviour and you are doing the same.
- I have grown a thick skin against the insults, but that does not make it right.